Cricket West Indies see no danger of their tour of New Zealand being cancelled despite the team’s training privileges being revoked after several players breached Covid-19 protocols in their isolation facility.
Video footage from the facility in Christchurch showed some players had broken protocol by sharing food or socialising with team members outside their smaller biosecure bubbles, New Zealand’s health ministry said yesterday.
There was no risk to the public, the ministry said, and the team is due to be released from the facility tomorrow, pending a final round of Covid-19 testing.
Cricket West Indies CEO Johnny Grave says there had been no suggestion from the ministry that the tour could be cancelled, and health officials had said the sanctions only related to the team training in Christchurch.
The team had been granted special exemptions to train while in managed isolation.
The first of three Twenty20 internationals against New Zealand is on November 27 in Auckland.
BY GREG STUTCHBURY