‘TACTIC’: Now public to say over Bo-Kaap heritage
The Bo-Kaap Ratepayers Association has accused Cape Town Mayor Dan Plato of delaying heritage protection for Bo-Kaap, after the City called for more public participation on Tuesday.

Jacky Poking, secretary of the civic and ratepayers’ association, says the City has already concluded a public participation process into the proposed Heritage Protection Overlay Zone (HPOZ).

City officials first called for public input into the HPOZ in December 2015.

Since then there has been no progress with the document that outlines how Bo-Kaap’s heritage could be protected legally by the City, reports the Cape Argus.

Plato said: “Due to the period of time that has passed, officials from the City’s Heritage Management Department have advised that a new round of public participation will need to take place.

“We want to ensure that we follow due process and that we do not cut corners in dealing with this very serious matter.”

Plato said the recommendation for public participation would be made to the City council on 13 December, and if adopted, the process would be fast-tracked.

But Poking says this is yet another “delay tactic” from the City.

Bo-Kaap residents have repeatedly called on the government for heritage protection for the area, established in 1763.

They say property developers are wiping out their heritage.

[email protected]