A Leonsdale family has been left destitute and in the dark after Eskom has failed to carry out repairs following a fire allegedly caused by a power surge during loadshedding.
Ouma Diane Fellies, 52, was left with third degree burns to her face and was hospitalised after she bravely rescued her six-year-old grandson from the flames.
Her two children, Simone and Lance, were also injured in the blaze which gutted their Mitre Road home.
Sister Eleanor Pasner says they are furious with Eskom after the family was made to sleep in a cold, dark house after the blaze.
“Diane is in lots of pain and very sick. She is in and out of hospital and we are waiting to hear if she is going to have surgery,” says Eleanor.
“Eskom said they’re investigating the fire but have not come to fix the problem or give them electricity again.
“The house is completely destroyed and they are sleeping in a dark house because there is no light.”
Pasner says the inspector called them once after seeing an article in the Daily Voice but had not bothered to keep them informed
“Prior to the fire there was a box sparking outside their home. It was reported but Eskom never came out.
“They only called us once because they saw the story in the Voice.
“They are so inhumane to leave the family like that. They are now further traumatised and Eskom doesn’t care. The least they can do is put the lights back on.”
Eskom did not respond to questions about the investigation.
Anyone who would like to help the family can call Simone on 067 007 5184.