- 30ml (2 T) oil
- 1 large onion, ﬁnely chopped
- 1kg steak mince
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cloves garlic, ﬁnely chopped
- 2 allspice (pimento)
- Salt to taste
- 15ml (1T) freshly ground peppercorns or ﬁne black pepper
- 125ml (½ cup) sago soaked in 250ml (1 cup) water for 30 minutes
- 2 packets (400g each) ready-made puff pastry or home-made pastry
- 4 hard boiled eggs, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
Heat the oil in a pot on medium to high heat, then add the onion and sauté until golden brown.
Add the steak mince, cloves, garlic and spices.
Stir and fry for 10 minutes, then add 250ml (1 cup) water and cook on medium heat.
Stir when needed until the water has cooked away.
Add the soaked sago with the water and stir. Cook for 30 minutes on medium to low heat, stirring when needed.
Transfer the cooked mince mixture to a bowl and allow to cool.
Remove all the whole spices. Cover with a cloth and place in the fridge.
Roll out one sheet of the puff pastry to about 3mm thick and use it to line the bottom of a greased oven roasting pan.
Spoon in the ﬁlling and top with the grated boiled eggs.
Roll out the second sheet of pastry until it is large enough to cover the mince ﬁlling completely.
Brush the top with egg wash and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 220°C. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Cape, Curry and Koesisters