This cake will complement Castle Milk Stout Chocolate Infused. The beer has a wonderful smoky nose and sweet palate with plenty of dark chocolatey undertones which match well with decadent cocoa-based desserts.
- 300g dark chocolate (chopped)
- 200g muscovado sugar
- 175ml boiling water
- 225g unsalted butter (diced)
- 6 eggs separated into yolks and whites
- A pinch of sea salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C, then grease and line a 23cm cake tin.
2. Add the chopped chocolate and sugar to a food processor and blend until it forms a powder then add the boiling water, butter, yolks and salt. Blend again until properly mixed.
3. Whisk the egg whites in a clean, grease free bowl until the stiff peaks stage, add a spoonful of egg white to the chocolate mixture then carefully fold this back into the egg white, a spoonful at a time.
4. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 40 minutes until a skewer comes out clean after being inserted into the middle. Cool the cake and refrigerate until needed.
Tip: Make sure to use high-quality chocolate with a high cocoa percentage - a cake that is too sweet will jar with the bitterness of the stout.