- 15ml (1 tbs) sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into small, ½cm cubes
- 125ml (½ cup) prepared beef stock
- 2 x 300g cans Bull Brand Corned Meat, cut into small cubes
- 1 x 410g can chakalaka
- 65ml (¼ cup) chopped coriander leaves
- 250ml (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 45ml (3 tbs) chopped parsley
- A generous pinch of salt and a pinch of ground white pepper
- 1 large egg
- 125ml (½ cup) milk
- 125ml (½ cup) sunflower oil
- 1 onion extra, sliced into rings
First make the filling.
Heat the 15ml (1 tbs) oil in a large frying pan and add the chopped onion.
Lightly fry until soft and golden.
Meanwhile, place the potato cubes in a small saucepan and add the stock.
Bring to a boil and cook until just tender.
Drain the potatoes and pat dry.
Add to the onion and continue to cook until the potato is tender.
Add the Bull Brand Corned Meat, the chakalaka and coriander leaves and stir lightly.
Transfer mixture to an oven-safe pie dish.
Now make the batter: place the self-raising flour, parsley, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
Beat together the egg, milk and 125ml (½ cup) oil and slowly add to the flour. Whisk until smooth.
Pour the batter over the meat mixture, spread out to cover the meat and arrange a few onion rings into the top of the batter.
Bake the pie in a preheated oven at 190°C for 40-45 minutes or until the batter is cooked through and golden brown.
Serve with a mixed salad.