- 3kg boneless uncooked gammon
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 litres ginger beer
- 350g brown sugar
- 150g honey
- 1 cup (250ml) whisky
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 8 cardamom pods, bruised
- 3-4 star anise
- 1 tbsp (15ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15ml) thyme, chopped
- 50g ginger, peeled and grated
- Cloves for studding
- 3 pink lady apples, halved
- 3 pears, halved
- Place gammon, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, peppercorns and ginger beer into pot and top up with water to cover the gammon completely
- Place a side plate over gammon to keep it submerged while bringing to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2.5 to 3 hours.
- Cool gammon in liquid.
- Top up with extra ginger beer if needed.
For the Glaze:
Pour all ingredients into saucepan and simmer until sugar has dissolved and syrup has formed. Cool and remove spices.
Remove gammon from liquid and remove skin using small paring knife. Leave half centimetre thick layer of fat. Score fat with diamond pattern and stud centre of each diamond with a clove. Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
Place gammon, apples and pears on baking tray and brush with glaze before placing in oven. Glaze continuously while fat turns deep golden colour.
Serve gammon with roasted pears, apples and mustard.