First of all, congratulations to the matric class of 2019, and good luck to all for the new academic year.
Yoh, it’s only 10 days in but it feels like we’ve been to hell and back already.
Ha-ah! We can’t start the new decade off like this.
Ons moet bid en du’ah maak that we survive this period.
Here is Munier’s wishlist for 2020.
* Kanala, Donald Trump, don’t start World War III.
There’s (relative) peace in the Middle East. ISIS is finished en klaar. Iraq and Syria are becoming more stable.
Don’t pick a fight you can’t win - remember what happened when America toppled Saddam Hussein?
You won the battle, but how many Iraqis and US troops died in the bloody conflict years to follow?
Besides, you can’t win the Energy War. Syria and Iran have in Vladimir Putin’s Russia a powerful political and economic ally.
They won’t be bullied.
Jy gaan pak kry, so better you take your impeachment like a man and stand down.
* There’s no point wishing for Brexit. That fiasco ain’t never gonna happen, with or without Boris Johnson.
In fact, we’ll probably still be here in 2030, discussing that mission impossible.
* Cyril, Ramaphosa, ophou baie praat and start walking the talk.
Eish, it’s been - what - two years of promising to clean up government, reviving state-owned enterprises and bringing state capture culprits to book, and the result?
Tedious, drawn-out, expensive commissions of inquiry that to date have not led to any prosecutions.
The message this sends out to civil servants is: go on abusing taxpayers’ money, there is no accountability, the worst that can happen is you’ll have to sit through a boring TV talk shop.
Enough now. It’s time to lock up the skelms who are bleeding this country dry.
* Also to Cyril, stop talking about fixing Eskom. Just do it. Now!
* To Helen Zille, bly weg van Twitter af.
As federal council chairperson of the DA, you’ve got a massive job on your hands.
The party has lost almost its entire executive team.
You’ve got in John Steenhuisen a lightweight leader with no constituency and short on credentials.
He’s going to need all the help he can get.
But what are you doing? Permy on Twitter, stirring up racial tensions, tackling “Black Twitter” trolls and causing divisions.
Het jy nie werk nie?
* To my beloved Springboks, do whatever you like.
It doesn’t matter if you lose every single Test match this year.
You won the Rugby Championship and World Cup last year, so why not take 2020 off and relax? You deserve it.
* Here’s hoping golden boy Wayde van Niekerk makes a triumphant return in the Olympic Games in Japan this year.
Shame, our record-breaking track star has been out injured for quite a while now and it’s been a long road back to full fitness. God speed, Wayde.
* It’s Liverpool’s season this year (for real this time). No matter what club you support, you can’t help but admire Jurgen Klopp and feel that this brilliant team absolutely deserves to lay their hands on a trophy they haven’t won for 30 years.
* To all our mense, here’s wishing you health, wealth, security and happiness in 2020.
Times are tougher than ever before, and we’re going to have to be positive and disciplined if we are going to survive and thrive this year.
Stay focused on what’s important to you - your family, children, your career and your goals.
And don’t be distracted by the negative influences in your lives, OK?
All the best.
Munier and the Daily Voice team.