ATTACK: Train coach set alight at Strand station on Tuesday. Photo: Supplied
There was more chaos on the railway lines Tuesday after yet another train was set alight and a gang of armed robbers attacked commuters on a different train.

Just before 5am, commuters at the Strand Train Station were delayed for over an hour when a carriage was set alight.

The City’s Fire and Rescue Services spokesman, Theo Layne, confirms: “A railway coach was set alight and contained. The cause of the fire is still undetermined at this stage.

“A group of 12 firefighters, two fire engines and one water tanker were on the scene.”

Just before 6am, commuters in a train from Brackenfell to Wellington were attacked by a group of armed men who started robbing passengers.

A commuter says he was just about to board the train at Brackenfell station when mense came rushing out, warning them of the robbers.

“My express train was cancelled and at 5.50am, another train pulled up and people who got out were hysterical,” he says.

“I wanted to board and someone told me not to. They said there were armed men on the train robbing people.

“There was not a single police officer or security guard on the train.”

Metrorail spokesperson, Zino Mihi, says they had no record of the Brackenfell incident.

She says guards at Wellington station reported a robbery at 10.40am.

“Metrorail has no records of the incident you are referring to as yet. We were made aware of an incident between Wellington and Mbekweni stations,” Mihi said.

“A 35-year-old male is alleged to have been stabbed in the left arm and robbed of R300 and a train ticket.”

Last week, eight people were robbed, assaulted and thrown from a moving train between Eerste River and Lynedoch stations.

One man died of his injuries after he landed on the railway tracks.

[email protected]