A Mitchells Plain family say they are sukkeling to live in their broken-down house after a fire, which killed their ouma in 2016, gutted the building.
Charlotte Felix, 77, died of smoke inhalation after her house was petrol-bombed by skollies.
Granddaughter Merna Isaacs, 37, still lives in the house with her three-year-old daughter, her mother and two younger brothers.
“At the time we thought it was a candle that set the house on fire, but after the fire and rescue report, they told us it was petrol-bombed,” says Merna.
“My one brother had trouble with the gangsters, so they did it to be spiteful, we found this out after the fire.”
The charred semi-detached maisonette has no windows or doors, the roof is broken and there’s no electricity or water.
The family have made themselves as comfortable as they could in their home in Cornflower Street, Lentegeur.
Merna says she takes care of her physically disabled mother and her brothers Reuben, 27, who has a mental disability, and William, 23.
William’s hands were badly burnt in the fire and he doesn’t have fingerprints anymore.
“My mother was never able to obtain an ID again as she has nothing to produce to get an ID,” adds Merna.
“William can’t even get a job because he has no fingerprints to have an ID made.”
Merna says an outside tap still works and they make food outside on a fire, “when we have food to make”.
“We carry buckets of water from outside if we need to flush the toilet,” she says.
“It’s hard having to live like this, but we have no other choice, we also can’t sell the house because we won’t have a place to go.
“The house was finished paid when the fire happened so we didn’t expect any assistance from the City of Cape Town.
“But the only income we have is the R1700 disability grant Reuben gets.”
If you would like to assist, you are kindly asked to contact neighbour Samantha on 071 889 5293.