SCENE: Gran knocked down at Leonsdale traffic intersection when traffic lights failed after skelms stole copper cables

An entire block of homes in Leonsdale was without electricity after skelms stole cables from the power station in Epping Avenue and then set it on fire.

It also affected traffic lights in the area, and the 61-year-old ouma was hit by a car when she crossed the road at a busy pedestrian crossing.

Ward councillor Franchesca Walker says she was contacted early on Wednesday morning by residents who complained about the power being off.

She contacted Eskom to resolve the problem and blames the cable diewe for the accident.

“Eskom came out to fix the box, but just after 2pm I saw police and an ambulance and I found out that because there was no electricity, the traffic lights weren’t working,” says Walker.

“An ouma was crossing the road and was hit by a vehicle as a result.”

She says the shocked driver remained at the scene.

Soreen Fortune is currently in a critical but stable condition in Tygerberg Hospital.

Her daughter Jolene Adams says the family is still in shock, but thankful that Soreen is alive.

“All we know is she is critical. She has back injuries and is vomiting all the time. We are happy that she is alive but the family is not taking it well.

“My daddy is dead and we only have my mommy left. I can’t believe that people can do stuff like this and now look at the result. She could have died,” says an emotional Jolene.

Eskom spokesperson, Jolene Henn, says the skelms stole copper cables and other equipment from the kiosk before setting it alight.

“Power was restored at approximately 11pm on Wednesday. The technicians reported this to the Eskom internal protective services who in turn must report this to the police. A (police) case has not been opened yet.”

Walker slammed the skelms for endangering people’s lives.

“I was so bedonnerd. Because of careless acts like these, someone could have died. The community needs to unite against vandals and report these people,” she says.

Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana says Elsies River SAPS has no record of the incident.