The man accused of killing top cop Charl Kinnear has now also been charged with conspiracy to murder involving the failed hit on hotshot criminal lawyer William Booth.
On Monday Zane Kilian’s laywer Eric Bryer, told the media that his client had been charged in connection with the shooting at Booth’s Higgovale home in April.
Booth was not injured in the hit.
Five suspects were arrested after being caught on CCTV footage in Booth’s neighbourhood.
Hawks spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Philani Nkwalase said it is alleged that Kilian also traced Booth’s phone.
“He is expected to appear at Cape Town Magistrates’ Court [today] as the fifth accused on this case facing charges of attempted murder, contravention of Electronic Communication and Transactions Act and Contravention of the regulation of Interception of Communications and provisions of Communications related Act 70 of 2000,” said Nkwalase.
Bryer confirmed his client would be appearing today on two charges - conspiracy to murder and fraud.
However the NPA says only one charge - fraud - has been added to the docket.
Former rugby player Kilian, 39, had previously told the Bishop Lavis Magistrates’ Court that he was a private investigator and he didn’t commit any crime by tracking Kinnear, who was shot outside his Bishop Lavis home on 18 September.
But yesterday the NPA slapped him with a charge of fraud.
Regional spokesman Eric Ntabazalila said: “The NPA can also confirm that a charge of fraud has been added to the charge sheet of Zane Kilian.
“This relates to documents that were submitted by the defence on 9 October at the Bishop Lavis Magistrates’ Court where they emphasised that what the accused did, that is pinging the late Lieutenant-Colonel Charl Kinnear’s phone, was part of his job and that he didn’t commit a crime.”
Ntabazalila said their investigation revealed Kilian is not registered as a private investigator with Private Security Industry Regulatory Authority (PSIRA).
Kilian made his first appearance at the Bellville Regional Court for what was supposed to be his bail application, but then ended with him being charged again.
He also face charges of murder, conspiracy to commit murder and the unlawful interception of communication.
Bryer says his client, who was arrested in Springs and has been in custody for 36 days, was disappointed by the postponement.
“Yesterday (Sunday) morning he was very excited, in good spirits because he thought his bail application was going ahead today and he was gutted, devastated last night (Sunday) to learn that there are more charges against him.
“From a legal point of view, it’s advisable to get all the charges done in one go with the State, then we will proceed with the bail application.
“If he were granted bail then he would have been rearrested.”