A Mitchells Plain family lost everything after a fire engulfed their home on Saturday.
Homeowner Catherine Steyn, of Southern Cross Street in Rocklands says she lives in the main house with six people while the Wendy house in her backyard housed five relatives.
Catherine, 65, says the fire started on a veldjie behind her maisonettte.
“It was before 2am on Saturday, my daughter called me from the Wendy house to say there was a big fire on the field at the back.”
She says the only thing separating the Wendy from the field was a wire fence.
“We got up and tried to douse the flames on the field, but it was burning too high and fast.
“It burned the dry grass from the field and spread to grass under the Wendy house and within minutes the roof of the Wendy collapsed and the sparks went to the main house and in about an hour, everything was over, we lost everything.”
Caterine says she is just grateful that nobody was hurt: “It's sad to see 43 years go up in smoke, but thank God none of my children were hurt.”
They believe the fire was caused by men smoking drugs and burning copper on the field.
“It's been a problem for years. We can hear them every night making a noise and the smell of their smoking comes into our home and some days I can't hang my washing in the yard because the clothes smell like dagga.”
The City’s Fire and Rescue Services spokesperson Jermaine Carelse confirms the incident and says no injuries were reported.
For any donations to help the family, call Catherine on 078 576 8195.