Chanelle McCrawl
The High Court trial for the rape and murder of Chanelle McCrawl is expected to commence in October.

This was revealed at the Wynberg Magistrate's Court on Wednesday as the girl’s uncle Carlo de Kock and neighbour, Stanton Mano, appeared again.

The bludgeoned body of the Manenberg girl was discovered on the banks of the Vygieskraal River on 20 October last year.

The duo were expecting to be informed of the date when their case will be transferred to the Cape Town High Court, but State prosecutor, Shahieda Poole, explained the advocate assigned to the case had been hospitalised.

Carlo de Kock

“The advocate was hospitalised and we have been informed the date for the pre-trial is 29 August and that the trial could only start on 8 October. So we are requesting a postponement,” she said.

Magistrate Goolam Bawa said while he noted the objections from the defence lawyers, he had no choice but to postpone the case to 16 July.

Gertrude Basson, 53, says she is still traumatised after finding the child’s body.

Stanton Mano

She said that while she had been receiving counselling since last year, every time she saw a bag like the one Chanelle’s body was found in, she relives the trauma.

“They wrapped her in a curtain and when we found her the bag was in a hole. I took a stick and poked the bag, but it didn’t move,” she says.

“When one of the guys opened it, I saw her socks and knew it was her. I go for counselling, but every time I see a bag like that dan kan ek dit nie vat nie.”

[email protected]