A little boy lost his life and a Kewtown family was left homeless in two separate fires.
Three-year-old Alunamida Mili died in a shack fire at Siqalo informal settlement in Philippi on Friday morning.
The child was consumed by the blaze while his unemployed mother went to out look for a job, leaving him with her younger boyfriend.
It is not clear how the fire started, but it is understood the boyfriend had gone out and left the toddler in the shack.
The fire gutted two shacks and the boy’s charred remains were found after firefighters extinguished the fires two hours later just before 10am, says Fire and Rescue Services spokesman Jermaine Carelse.
The boy’s heartbroken mother Bulelwa Mili, 31, says: “I was out looking for a piece job as usual when the fire broke out.
“I am heartbroken, life is unfair. I am an unemployed [mother], trying my best to provide for them and I lose him just like that.
“I don't even have the means to bury him. We appeal to anyone who can help us give Alunamida a dignified burial to contact me on 073 686 3527,” says the mom of two.
SAPS’ FC van Wyk says an inquest case was registered for investigation.
Meanwhile, a Kewtown family needs help after losing their homes and all their possessions in a fire in North Road also on Friday morning.
The fire, believed to have been started by an unattended candle, destroyed three homes leaving 13 relatives destitute.
Two men suffered second degree burns on the back and hands and were taken to hospital, says Carelse.
The victims have appealed for help with material to rebuild their Wendy houses, as well as food, blankets and clothing.
Martin Isaacs, 49, who lives with his wife and four kids, says he only has a part-time job.
"I am devastated, I don't know where to start fixing our lives. I couldn't save anything because by the time I woke up, it was blazing. All I wanted at that moment was to save my family."
His nephew Leigh Isaacs, 31, blames their “drug addict cousin” for the incident.
“They might have forgotten a lit candle. Sad thing is we haven't seen them since the morning to get a full explanation of what happened.”
To help, call 074 820 9974.