There was pandemonium at Goodwood Magistrates’ Court on Friday as the 54-year-old suspect appeared on murder charges after leading police to a stormwater drain in Worcester where he allegedly dumped the child’s body.
Proceedings were brought to a grinding halt when angry people stormed into the courtroom after being told it was full, and refused to move despite pleas from Tazne’s family.
Tempers flared when Pangaker’s legal aid lawyer informed Magistrate Bukiwe Sambudla that his client was allegedly moered by police and not offered medical care.
Standing in the dock dressed in a beige pants and striped shirt, Pangaker tried to hide his face under his shirt, but bruises and burn marks could be seen on his hands and neck.
He did not apply for bail and the case was postponed to 17 April.
But as soon as Sambudla granted the postponement, protestors in the public gallery hurled a crutch and shoes at Pangaker, with one woman screaming: “Jou vuil n***! Jy is vrek!”
Speaking to the Daily Voice on Sunday Tazne’s mother, Carmen, 28, says she became angry when a video of Pangaker walking in a public hospital corridor surfaced on social media and she called police officers.
“I phoned them. I do not feel he deserves medical treatment,” the mother says.
“He shouldn’t even get a simple pain pill because we don’t know what he did to our child and there was nobody to help my child. Hy moet le en vrot in daai gat soos my kind moes.”
The hartseer mother says they have not yet been informed how Tazne was killed or what condition her body was in.
She also criticised the decision by Judge Sambudla, forbidding the media from photographing Pangaker in court.
“I heard them say all the cameras must be put off. I don’t think it is fair. Why does he now have rights when my child’s rights were taken away from her?
“He can’t be protected! He must be exposed to the community so that people like him should not be allowed to walk this earth.”
Meanwhile, the family is asking for space to mourn.
“People keep coming and we just don’t get rest. We appreciate the support (from the public) but we need time to grieve,” adds Carmen.
“We don’t want Pangaker to get bail and we believe there will be no chance for bail because the community has already started petitions.”
Funeral planner, Joe Hendricks, says they plan to lay Tazne to rest this week, but the details had not yet been finalised: “At this stage the body has not been identified yet so we cannot confirm a date.
“The family has indicated that it will be open to the public but we will issue a statement once we are ready.”
Over 500 people had gathered to protest at court, most of whom marched to Parow and torched two alleged brothels amid rumours that Tazne had been kept there by a woman working with Pangaker.
Two properties in Parow and Carstens Street were gutted as the occupants - dozens of sex workers and clients - were seen fleeing the houses.
A video of the Uitsig woman being taken into custody on Saturday by police also surfaced on social media but police spokesperson, Brigadier Novela Potelwa, says no further arrests have been made.
“As part of ongoing investigations into the kidnapping and murder of Tazne van Wyk, individuals get questioned and vital information gets followed up.
“Communication will be made with the media only once an individual has been charged.
“Suffice to indicate SAPS members are still working hard.”