Five armed robbers overpowered guards and five soldiers at a military base near Khayelitsha on Friday and stole a cache of weapons.
The suspects reportedly made off with six R4 rifles and a magazine with 10 rounds of 5.56mm ammunition from the Ninth South African Infantry Battalion base.
The robbers reportedly forced the guards inside the base and overpowered another five soldiers in an armoury guard room.
The guards were forced to open a weapons safe.
South African Police Services (SAPS) spokeswoman Noloyiso Rwexana said the SAPS could not comment or confirm the incident and referred the matter to the South African National Defence Force (SANDF).
SANDF spokesperson Brigadier-General Mafi Mgobozi confirmed the robbery and said the SANDF was investigating, reports Weekend Argus.
“Our members are still on the scene and once all information has been made available a statement will be issued,” he said.
Meanwhile, Parliament’s defence and military veterans portfolio committee on Sunday called for an urgent review of security at all South African National Defence Force (SANDF) military bases in the country to ensure that they meet the requisite standard.
The committee was concerned by “reports of a heist” at 9 South African Infantry Battalion Base in Khayelitsha, Cape Town, on Friday, committee chairman Malusi Motimele said.
“Military bases are supposed to be the most secure sites considering the kind of weaponry kept at these sites. It is thus alarming that robbers are of late targetting these sites, more so because these weapons stolen will surely be used for nefarious deeds,” he said.
In an unrelated case earlier this year, Duncan Gouvias 22 pleaded guilty in the Wynberg Regional Court to five charges of burglary and contraventions of the Firearms Control Act.
His sentences totalled 43 years but will run concurrently.
Gouvias, Dilian Sewkumar 18 and Karabo Ramokgopa 19, sons of navy personnel, admitted stealing automatic weapons hand grenades and ammunition from Simon’s Town naval base in August last year.