Meanwhile, the investigation into what led up to the 10-year-old girl’s death has been completed and the Manenberg community has now called for the matter to be moved swiftly to the High Court.
According to a highly-placed source, a DNA test on the semen confirmed it belonged to Carlo de Kock, who, along with neighbour Stanton Mano, have been charged with Chanelle’s rape and murder.
Chanelle’s bludgeoned body was discovered on the banks of the Vygieskraal River on 20 October last year.
She had been reported missing a day earlier after she failed to arrive at school.
During their bail hearing in January, it was revealed that the two men were allegedly watching porn and smoking drugs in De Kock’s house on the morning the girl was last seen walking into the house.
State prosecutor, Shahida Poole, said according to the post-mortem report, Chanelle had injuries to her head, neck and private parts.
“Under the genital organs there was a large vaginal laceration measuring 16mm in length,” said Poole.
At the time, she said they were waiting for the outcome of DNA tests on the semen found on the girl’s pants.
Bail was denied and both men will remain in Pollsmoor Prison.
The accused appeared via Closed Circuit TV before Magistrate Goolam Bawa on Tuesday and it was revealed that Mano was asked to submit DNA again for testing.
However, his lawyer Rustin Ravat objected, saying he had not been informed that Mano was visited by the investigating officer in prison.
The source told the Daily Voice that DNA was initially taken from both men and while tests had confirmed that De Kock’s DNA was linked to the semen found, the lab had requested a second sample from Mano to be tested.
Bawa postponed the case until 25 April when it will be decided if the case will be moved to the regional or High Court.
Outside court, members of Manenberg Women For Change called for the case to be moved to the High Court so it can be prioritised.
Mom Shamiela Fredericks, 48, said: “We are saying enough is enough. All these terrible things are happening and the children are being raped and killed and it seems like nothing is happening.
“We want it to go to the High Court because they can never get away with what they did.”
Ouma Margaret Olaine, 62, says Chanelle’s life was destroyed.
“She is a child and what they did to her is unacceptable,” said Olaine.