The City of Cape Town will not reopen the investigation into DA councillor Nora Grose who was busted for allegedly siphoning R170 000 food parcel funds from the municipality.
Grose handed herself over to the Hawks last week after her co-accused Reuben Swartz was busted several months earlier.
The Hawks explained that Swartz, who is the chairperson of the South African Religious Civic Organisation (Sarco), was arrested in December for allegedly defrauding funds from the Temporary Employee Relief Scheme (TERS).
He was later charged with Grose for separate charges relating to the allocation of R170 000 for food parcels meant for sukkeling mense in Atlantis, which was instead diverted to a church in Table View.
Grose appeared in the Atlantis Magistrates’ Court on Thursday where she was granted R10 000 bail.
On Friday Swartz, who was also freed on R10 000 bail, made a brief appearance at the Bellville Serious Commercial Crimes Court on charges of fraud and money laundering relating to the TERS funds.
Hawks spokesperson Zinzi Hani says: “This comes after his arrest by the Hawks Serious Corruption Investigation team in December 2020 and [Swartz] was later released on R10 000 bail.
“It is alleged that Swartz fraudulently claimed money from the Employee Temporary Relief Program (TERS) from UIF valued at R297 800 and used it for personal gain.”
Hani said during the investigation it was revealed that Swartz received up to R170 000 from the City’s humanitarian fund, which was meant to provide food parcels in Atlantis.
“But instead the money was allegedly channelled to a church in Table View with ties to Councillor Grose.
“At this stage nothing links Councillor Grose to TERS funding as reported before.
“The matter against Swartz is postponed to 23 June for further particulars.”
Last week Cape Town Mayor Dan Plato said all allegations regarding malpractice by Grose were investigated by the Office of the Speaker and no malpractice was found.
Speaking to the Daily Voice yesterday, newly appointed speaker Felicity Purchase, confirmed that they will not be reopening their investigation.
“The speaker’s office investigation is concluded. It will serve no purpose to reopen it. All information from the speaker's investigation will be available to SAPS,” she said.