Community members are relieved that a hokkie has burnt down because they no longer have to deal with druggies.
The Hillview residents also say they can sleep better knowing there’s no drug jol in their road.
Community leader Ashleen Williams tells the Daily Voice they had been trying to get rid of the woman who lived in the shack.
“They smoked all the time and our children were exposed to this,” she explains.
“They moved on Monday after the fire, and we are happy. They can stay away forever.”
The fire completely destroyed the shack along St Swithin Road.
Neighbour Justin Visagie, 33, says his shack was affected by the blaze.
“My children’s room was burnt to the ground on that morning,” he says.
“For some reason we didn’t have water so we had to go and fetch water from formal structures.
“While we were busy trying to put out the fire, the people who started the fire were standing across the road watching the shack burn to the ground.
“And then the owner of the shack decided to move after the fire.
“We don’t know what started the fire, but the neighbour definitely started it.”
Justin was woken up by his neighbour who noticed the flames coming through the roof of the drug den.
“He came and banged on my window and told me there was a fire and I woke my children up.
“If he had not alerted me, my children would have either been injured or dead.”
Ashleen says they had signed a petition to get the woman out of the area: “She would have drug parties that would be right through the day and night.
“And even when we complained, nothing would change.”