Two men accused of shooting two traffic officers during a robbery in Harare have been pointed out by witnesses.
Bulelani Maqam and Mawethu Gongo appeared briefly at the Khayelitsha Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
The pair is facing charges of attempted murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances after they shot and wounded two traffic officers who were on patrol in Harare, Khayelitsha, on July 5.
Princess Nkomo and Mandisa Plaatjie were patrolling in Harare last week when two men travelling in a Toyota Avanza shot at them.
Yesterday state prosecutor Ndakhele Mlungwana told the court they would be opposing the release on bail for both accused.
“An identity parole has taken place, according to the Investigating Officer accused one [Maqam] was pointed out while accused two was not,” he said.
“However, accused two is still linked to the matter by a witness who knows both accused.”
Traffic officials sat in court yesterday as one of the victims, Mandisa Plaatjies, came face to face for the first time with her attackers.
Magistrate Patrick Menyiwe postponed the matter to September 8 for a formal bail application.
Outside court, Plaatjies did not want to comment on the matter.