Police have confirmed Mohammed Noor Karriem, 64, the owner of Giant Sweets and Sweets for Africa was abducted outside his shop in Epping on Monday just before 11am.
It is believed Karriem, known to be a highly successful and charitable man, was dragged from his car and thrown into an unknown vehicle outside Sweets for Africa in Christian Avenue.
Police are remaining tight-lipped about the incident, and it is still unclear whether Karriem’s kidnappers have made any ransom demands yet.
Police spokesperson, Lieutenant Colonel André Traut, would only confirm the kidnapping.
“The circumstances surrounding a kidnapping case are being investigated after a 64-year-old businessman was forcefully removed from his business in Epping (Monday) morning at around 10.45am by unknown suspects. The finer aspects of the case cannot be disclosed at this stage,” Traut said.
He said on Tuesday there were no new developments.
It is understood Karriem’s sons were on their way home from overseas on Tuesday and his brother-in-law, Bashier Moydien, told the Daily Voice the family would issue a statement on Wednesday.
Meanwhile community crime fighter, Hanif Loonat, who has been closely involved with the investigation of the kidnappings, says police should be speaking to the businessmen who were previously kidnapped to get answers.
“I am very disappointed that the previous victims are not prepared to come to the party and to give information,” he says.
“They are sitting with the answers, they know why they were targeted and who is behind it.”
In July last year, businessman Liyaqat Parker, 65, was kidnapped by five armed men at his business in Goodwood.
Parker is a board member of Al Amien Foods and a non-executive director of Brimstone Investment Corporation.
It was alleged kidnappers had demanded 50 Bitcoin which was worth about R4.3m at the time.
On 25 July 2017, three armed men snatched Sadeck Zhaun Ahmed at his business in Victoria Street in Woodstock.
Ahmed owns Zhauns Business Opportunity Machines and was released a month later.
On 9 September 2017, a Chinese man was abducted from his home in Monte Vista. He owns a bottle store in Delft.
Kidnappers demanded a ransom of R1 million, but after negotiations with family they settled on R100 000 and the man was let go.
Cops caught three suspects in Kraaifontein and managed to confiscate the vehicle used as well as some of the ransom money.
In October 2016, Naushad Deshmukh Khan, 46, was also kidnapped.
The Athlone businessman was snatched outside his clothing shop, Khans, in Hadji Ebrahim Crescent.
Two months later, he was found wandering the streets in Thornton and was rushed to a hospital.
And in December 2016, Bangladeshi businessman Mustapha Goolam, from Lotus River, was kidnapped from Food Town and a ransom was set at R11m.
Goolam was found in Khayelitsha two days later and five people, including a police reservist, were arrested.
Goolam said his kidnappers beat him up and taunted him by trying to feed him pork.