While Chadwin Mondo has begun breathing on his own, his mother, Angeline Mondo, is preparing to open a case against the man who flung a brick against his head.
Chadwin, a promising soccer player, had been playing outside when the attacker, said to be in his 30s, threw a brick against his head.
The Heinz Park boy was left unconscious on 5 November.
He was taken to Groote Schuur Hospital where he was placed on life support.
The teen is a top soccer player at Heinz Park FC.
His mom says he opened his eyes briefly on Saturday: “He is in and out of reality and is very tired.
“He opened his eyes for a bit. He is not able to speak yet.
“He blinks a bit and then closes his eyes again.
“We are still praying for him.”
Heinz Park FC coach, Quinton Abrahams, says they are giving God all the glory.
“He was awake and he cried when he saw me. God is good,” he says.
Angeline says while all the support she has received has been heart-warming, she still intends to fight for justice for her son.
“I am receiving the J88 form from the doctor to open a case,” she says.
“Chadwin is not able to open a case.
“There have been so many prayers for my son and we are continuing to pray for him.
“I want to thank each and everyone who have been praying for him.
“I still need to speak to the doctors to fully understand what is happening now.”
The City of Cape Town’s Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security, JP Smith, said on Guy Fawkes, they received 345 phone calls of which 12 were cases of assault, four of stone throwing, 272 of the setting off of fireworks, 35 of selling fireworks and eight of intimidation.
These complaints included reports of groups of youngsters, armed with paint and socks filled with sand and stones, roaming the streets and attacking innocent people.