Now four years later, thanks to surgeons at the Red Cross Children’s Hospital, Amier will start a new chapter in his young life.
The boy from Lavender Hill received reconstructive surgery on his right hand and is recovering in hospital.
Red Cross spokesperson, Dwayne Evans, says the operation on 2 October was a success.
“The procedure entailed cutting out the severe scarring on his right hand, lengthening his tendons and applying a full thickness skin graft over the area to aid with healing and aesthetics. Amier is recovering well and in good spirits.”
After burning his hands, the resilient boy learnt how to climb trees and ride a bike.
Now, for the first time, he will be able to write his own name, says his overjoyed mom, Carmen Hudson, 46.
But it is a big adjustment; Amier will have to undergo extensive physiotherapy and due to the reconstructed nerves in his hand, he is also experiencing a lot of pain.
“He said to me, ‘mommy, now I have pain and I never had pain before’,” says Carmen.
The mom of five says the freak accident happened four years ago after she put hot water in a bath and left the house for a few minutes.
She says she used water from an urn as they didn’t have a geyser.
“I had placed a towel over the bath to keep the water warm. I left the house for less than five minutes to throw something away.
“Amier must have wanted to get into the bath. In doing this, he burnt both of his hands.”
Carmen says surgeons may in future also fix her son’s left hand.
The family is being supported by Pastor Ivan Jones and his wife, Pastor Bronwyn Jones, through their NPO, Revelation Ministries and Rise Up programme.
Every day, the couple transports Carmen to the hospital to spend time with Amier, while Bronwyn, a former teacher, reads to the boy to take his mind off his painful handjie.
Experts advise that when preparing a bath, people should put cold water in first and then add hot water.
Also, always test the heat with the elbow first.