The Gift of the Givers has reached out to nearly 300 Kraaifontein residents who were left homeless following a devastating fire on Monday.
The humanitarian organisation acted quickly and handed out food parcels to the victims in Thakudi street in Wallacedene on Monday afternoon, and said they would be assisting the community for the rest of this week.
The fire apparently broke out due to a short circuit in the electrified informal settlement and spread quickly to other shacks.
Community leader Mpontsheng Lekhatlanya, said Eskom’s blackouts are suspected to have caused the fire.
“When the electricity went back on, the fire started. The community suspects it has to do with the load shedding, many people have been left traumatised,” he told IOL.
Faith Bugani, 46, a mom of two young kids, says they lost alles.
“I was at work when a family member called me to say that our hokkie burnt down. They tried to save things but the fire was too big and the wind was blowing strong that time.
“We are very grateful to the Gift of the Givers for the food,” she says.
The organisation’s project manager Ali Sablay said the situation was dire.
“The municipality no longer provides building packs, so it will be difficult for many here to rebuild as unemployment is rife,” he says.
“85 structures burnt out and Monday was also the first back to school day for the learners. Their clothing and books burnt out in the fire.
“The Give of the Givers will be here for five days to give them a hot meal, hygiene packs and baby care packs.
“We are in contact with disaster management to get them temporary accommodation as rain is expected from Thursday. Most of the people here are elderly.”