“The fire destroyed almost all our belongings,” said ouma Nomkhitha Matika.
“My grandson wanted to fetch a blanket so he could sleep, I think he dropped the candle and the fire started.
“My 24-year-old grandson is unemployed and the other two are still teenagers.”
Neighbours assisted in putting out the fire but the damage was already done.
The blaze affected only Nomkhitha’s house, thanks to her quick-thinking neighbours.
On Thusday more people came to assist the family to clean up.
Among them was Ward councillor Xolisa Ngwekazi who said the family needs support.
“We are appealing to anyone who can assist the family to come forward. They are depending on the grandmother’s grant.
“If we had means we would also assist but all we can offer at the moment is our hands to clean the house of the debris.”
The family members slept at a neighbour’s house while the house is being cleared.
“I am thankful for the support I have received so far, people around me are trying their best to assist us.”
Eldest grandson Ntskilelelo, 24, said ever since lockdown started he cannot work.
“I was a casual worker, I was asked to stay at home since the lockdown and I cannot look for employment at the moment.”
The family will now sleep in the undamaged rooms until they can repair their home.
To help, contact 074 498 9332.