Marikana residents in Philippi East have been left shocked after a couple died in a fire.
City Fire and Rescue Services spokesperson Jermaine Carelse: “A man and a woman were burnt beyond recognition. Just after midnight, we were alerted to informal structures that were set alight in the Marikana informal settlement.
“Fire crews from Ottery, Mitchells Plain and Lansdowne were dispatched to the scene.
“They found several structures burning, with community members reporting that not everyone had been accounted for.”
Resident Lusanda Mkhatshana, who lost everything in the fire, says she doesn’t know how it started and that when she arrived on Saturday morning, she found her shack destroyed.
“I was shocked when I arrived on Saturday and found out I am homeless. I have lost everything.
“I was informed that the fire started in the couple’s bedroom and that they shouted for help but the residents couldn’t help them.”
Lusanda says the deceased man was her neighbour while the woman was visiting.
“She was also from Marikana, she was visiting her boyfriend when the incident happened,” she explains.
“We are waiting for the police to tell us what happened because the guy was a security guard who kept to himself who was a sweet person.
“We don’t know much about the couple and we don’t know where their families live.”
Police spokesperson Captain FC van Wyk says: “The body of a 33-year-old man and his girlfriend were found in a shack.
“Circumstances surrounding the cause of the fire are still being established, but at this stage no foul play is suspected.”