The state has rejected a plea deal by the two skollies accused of gunning down 11-year-old Nahemia Claasen in Parkwood.
Christopher Kemp and Shaun Motaung returned to the Western Cape High Court on Tuesday where they informed the court they are willing to plead guilty in return for a 20-year sentence.
Nahemia was shot just metres from his home in Parker’s Walk on 7 September 2020 amid a bloody gang war between the Mongrels and the Six Bobs gangs.
His death sparked an outcry as Grassy Park cops went on the hunt for Kemp, 23, an alleged member of the Mongrels gang.
During the investigation, it was revealed that Kemp had been shot a few days earlier by the Six Bobs gang and returned to Parker’s Walk along with Motaung, 29, to seek revenge.
Kemp missed his target and Nahemia was struck.
The duo face several charges including murder, attempted murder, firearm-related charges and charges under the Prevention of Organised Crime Act (POCA).
During court proceedings it was revealed that the state prosecutor would not accept the plea deal and would instead take the matter to a full trial as they called for a life sentence.
Mom Danielle, 30, says she was disappointed that the trial would only be heard next year.
“They said the case will only be heard on 3 October 2022 and it was set to be heard for five weeks.
“I am a bietjie disappointed but I am glad they rejected the plea deal.
“They only wanted 20 years but Nahemia had his whole life ahead of him and they took it away.
“I want them to get the maximum sentence for killing my first-born son.”