The MTN cellphone shop in Kenilworth Centre (KC) was robbed of cash, phones and a laptop at 4.50pm on Tuesday.
Last week, the Foschini store at the same mall was hit by skelms who got away with hundreds of bottles of larney branded perfume.
It’s also the third MTN store to be robbed on the Cape Flats since December.
The KC store was closed yesterday after workers were sent for trauma counselling.
A man in his 30s, who works at a clothing store in the mall, says they feel unsafe since the mall extended trading hours.
“We were sent a notice to say the mall will operate until 7pm from 1 May. We knew this wasn’t a good idea because it puts us workers at risk,” he says.
“At the time we leave from work, there are no taxis or staff transport to take us home. We have to find our own way.
“When MTN and Foschini were robbed, there was no mall security around.”
In October last year, MTN in Vangate Mall was robbed and on 11 May, the MTN store at Ottery Centre was also attacked, bringing the number to three stores robbed in the space of seven months.
The worker says trading at the mall was slow yesterday.
“Here is no activity, the place is dead quiet people are scared because of the robberies.”
Police spokesperson Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana confirms a case of business robbery has been opened for investigation.
“Three unidentified suspects threatened employees with a firearm and robbed a cellphone shop. They fled the scene with an undisclosed amount of cellphones and a laptop. Suspects are yet to be arrested.”
A spokesperson for Kenilworth Centre declined to comment yesterday.
MTN SA’s Mamello Raborifi says all mobile operators have been working with police to curb a spate of robberies at their stores.
“In the past few months, there has been a resurgence of store robbery incidents,” she says.
“MTN with other mobile operators are working with SAPS across the country to address these incidents.
“MTN will continue to increase security in the areas surrounding the stores.”