The man arrested in connection with the death of teenager Amahle Quku was only charged with murder on Tuesday, despite reports the girl had been raped.
It was an emotional day for the Quku family when they finally got to see the man accused of killing the 17-year-old.
Leonard Mzingeli, 25, made his first appearance in Wynberg Magistrate court after he was arrested on Sunday.
Amahle’s bruised and naked body was found on Saturday morning in
As the accused entered the courtroom, he glanced at the teen’s upset family, and cries of outrage were heard.
The prosecutor said the accused was the last person to be seen with Amahle.
NPA spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila says more charges are expected to be added to the docket: “For now, he is charged with murder only and other charges may be added at a later stage. His case has been postponed to 7 July 2020 for bail application.
Outside court, scores of people, mostly young women, were chanting, calling for no bail.
Amahle’s mother Mantulele Quku says the accused was known to her: “I know him from our area and I am relieved to finally lay my eyes on him. I hope he rots in jail.”
On Tuesday morning, pupils and teachers of Sinethemba High School took to the streets of Philippi to raise awareness about Gender Based Violence (GBV).
Amahle was in Grade 11 at the school.
OUTRAGE: Students at court calling for no bail to be granted to ‘killer’
Teacher Zukisa Nange says the whole school and especially Amahle’s friends have been left traumatised: “The pupils that were closest to her are still crying, that is how badly they have been affected.”