AT COURT: Rashied Staggie flanked by friend Ivan Waldeck and wife Rashieda. CREDIT: Patrick Louw

Former ganglord Rashied Staggie made a brief appearance at the Cape Town Magistrates’ Court yesterday, where he appeared with three others on theft charges involving gesmokkelde guns, whiskey, entjies and cigars.

Sources close to the ex-Hard Livings boss claimed they were gifts from co-accused Jayraj Pillay for his 60th birthday in May.

But the items were confiscated by the Hawks in April before they could have a jol with it.

Staggie, Pillay, 56, Pillay’s son Michaheel Mahendra Pillay, 19, and Joao de Gouveia, 45, were pulled over by cops in three luxury cars and arrested in a parking area in Century City in April.

Joburg police were led to the stolen goods by Staggie’s electronic monitoring bracelet.

The State alleges they were in possession of 23 bottles of Johnnie Walker Green worth R20 000 and several boxes of Cuban cigars and British cigarettes.

Four licensed firearms, including a .22 revolver, a Taurus and a Glock were also found inside one of the vehicles.

The state alleges the whiskey were linked to a container, containing goods worth R10.5m, that was stolen at a depot in Johannesburg on April 20.

The four accused were released on bail of R5 000 each.

Yesterday Staggie appeared cool and calm, looking smart in his larney designer boots and Diesel prescription spectacles.

The matter was over before his children could make it to the court.

His three daughters and son were met at the court entrance by their parents.

“Is it over?” one of the children asked, puzzled.

“Yes, it’s done, you missed it,” their mother Rashieda Staggie was heard saying.

Staggie is currently employed as a cleaner and motivational speaker at his friend Pastor Ivan Waldeck rehab in Bellville, earning R5 000 per month.

Holding three cellphones and a newspaper, and his wife’s hand, Staggie was min gespin as several cameras and microphones were shoved in his face as he left the court.

Accused number one, Jayraj, also missed yesterday’s proceedings as he is recovering from heart surgery.

But the State said it did not receive any medical reports.

Rooshdeen Rudolph said his client had heart surgery last Thursday and was recovering at Pretoria Mediclinic.

“I contacted the investigating officer and we ask that the warrant (of arrest) be rolled over,” he said.

The matter was postponed to August 30 for further investigation.