SLAIN: Zarah Jane Hector was found dead in March 2016
The trial of two men accused of murdering Kuilsriver mom Zarah-Jane Hector came to an abrupt end on Monday when the defence closed their case.

The matter in the Western Cape High Court has now been postponed to April for closing arguments after the defence surprised everyone by announcing they will not complete their cross-examination of a forensic analyst.

Last week defence lawyers for murder accused Renaldo van Rooyen, 34, from Kuilsriver and Tawfeeq Ebrahim from Tuscany Glen asked for a postponement.

Peter Burgess and Wimpie Strauss wanted a second opinion before cross examining forensic expert, Warrant Officer Blanche Stubbs, about Zarah’s DNA found at the crime scene.

Prosecutor Maria Marshall also expressed surprise at the sudden end of the trial.

She says the defence had not indicated they would not be presenting a case at all.

‘KILLERS’: Tawfeeq Ebrahim, Ronaldo van Rooyen

Van Rooyen and Ebrahim are accused of bludgeoning the mother of two to death with a hammer in March 2016 in Van Rooyen’s garage.

She allegedly owed them drug money.

Zarah was last seen alive by Van Rooyen’s mother on the morning of 15 March 2016 in her kitchen.

Her decomposing body was found 10 days later, dumped on a farm in Klein Drakenstein.

The court previously heard the accused went to Matroosfontein to try and sell the car Zarah was driving. The BMW Z3 belonged to her now deceased boyfriend, Mark Kleinsmith.

The accused have both pleaded not guilty to murder and are blaming each other for killing Zarah.

Zarah’s brothers, Lindsay and Brendan Hector, were both in court on Monday, wearing the pink T-shirts with a picture of Zarah on it.

Brendan said he was glad matters are moving along: “Maybe now we can get some closure.”

[email protected]