The schools, Wallacedene Primary in Kraaifontein and The Hague Primary in Delft, could not operate as planned due to the infected staff.
The schools had to be evacuated for decontamination and it is not yet clear whether the two staff members went to work knowingly while they await their results.
A teacher in Kraaifontein, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said they will only return to work tomorrow, when the disinfecting is complete.
“No one is talking about it, we were told to only return [tomorrow] and that those who were in close contact with the infected staff have been contacted and told to self-isolate.”
Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga announced last week that all teachers were due to report for duty from Monday to prepare for Grade 7 and 12 pupils, who are scheduled to return to school on 1 June.
Western Cape Education Department spokesperson Bronagh Hammond confirmed the two cases.
With regards to Wallacedene, she said: “The WCED is aware of a confirmed case at the school. The district has arranged for the cleaning of the school.”
She said the school in Delft was already sanitised and some staff had returned.
She confirmed that everyone who had been in close contact with the infected persons are self-isolating.
South African Democratic Teachers Union (SADTU) Western Cape chairperson Jonovan Rustin says their members are against teachers and children going back to the classroom.
“We did not want our members to return until we are satisfied that the department has put all measures to protect our members,” he said.
“We have members who tested positive and we are worried especially in this province that has high numbers of cases.”
Jonovan said they are researching to see how many of their 254 000 members returned to work.
“We also want the Department of Labour to visit the schools to inspect if they are ready to receive our members,” Jonovan says.
The Western Cape is the epicentre of the Coronavirus in South Africa with 14 978 cases currently.