The holidays are finally here and that means you can sit back, relax and enjoy some lekker downtime.
Unfortunately, during this period it’s also peak season for skelms and no matter where you are enjoying your time off, it’s important to always be vigilant.
Even if you’re leaving the busy city and spending your holiday in a quiet dorpie, you have to be alert and adhere to basic safety principles regardless of where you are.
These holiday safety tips for holidaymakers from Dialdirect Insurance will ensure that you have a lekker and safe festive season:
- Keep your kids close - with the increased awareness around kidnapping and human trafficking, vigilance is more important than ever.
- Plan your route – before you venture out, plan your route and avoid getting lost in potentially dangerous areas.
- Car jamming is a reality – you see this on signs at many shopping centres in big cities but it can happen anywhere so always double-check that your car is actually locked before walking away.
- Clear your car – don’t leave any valuables in plain sight where a boef can see it.
- Shop and explore with caution – while discovering new and interesting places can be fun, avoid using ATMs in secluded and quiet areas and steer clear of shops, passageways and other places in remote, dark or deserted locations.
- Save important contacts – For example, the number of the local security provider, police station or neighbourhood watch.
- Chat to the locals – just like you know which areas to avoid in your hometown, know the dodgy places to avoid at your holiday destination.
- Back to basics - when going to the beach, only take what you need. Don’t take a wallet, your whole handbag or other valuable possessions.
- Location, location, location - at the beach, pick a spot close to the lifeguards, as this is a deterrent for would-be criminals. If you drive to the beach, park your car in a well-guarded area.
- Swim in shifts - take turns going to the water, so that someone is always there to keep an eye on valuables.