Zarah trial delay

BY 

On 

October 31, 2016
Zarah trial delay

TRIAL: Tawfeeq Ebrahim, right, and Ronaldo van Rooyen

Murder accused stall court proceedings as they are both without legal representation.

Pre-trial hearings for the Zarah-Jane Hector murder case stalled on Friday when the Western Cape High Court learnt that neither of the accused had a lawyer.

Suspect Tawfeeq Ebrahim, 26, told Judge Andre Le Grange that he only applied for legal aid the day before.

His co-accused, Ronaldo Van Rooyen, 34, used legal aid all the time, but Ebrahim’s attorney Patrick Vezasie quit after the family could no longer afford his fees.

A representative from the Board of Legal Aid, Mr Cloete, told the court Van Rooyen’s application had been received and was approved.

When the judge asked Ebrahim why he had no representation, he answered: “I filled in all the forms yesterday [Thursday] and they were taken away.”

The matter was postponed to November 25, Ebrahim’s birthday, for legal presentation for both accused to be appointed.

Mom of two Zarah, 33, from Kuils River, was bludgeoned to death with an axe and her body found on a farm in the Klein Drakenstein, 10 days after she went missing in her boyfriend’s BMW Z3.

On Friday, murder suspects Ebrahim, and Van Rooyen, seemed relaxed in the dock.

Nazley Ebrahim blew kisses to her son while former deputy mayor of Cape Town, Gawa Samuels, was also there to support her grandson.

Outside court, Zarah’s brother Brendan Hector said it was just another way for the accused to try and delay “the inevitable”.

Once again dressed in pink T-shirts with Zarah’s face on it, they were angry and disappointed at what they saw as a “deliberate delay”.

“There is nothing they can do to stop this from happening. We will have justice and we will have closure and they will pay for what they have done,” says Brendan.

(Visited 2,111 times, 1 visits today)
Read more News