Public Protector Thuli Madonsela has been rattled by fake reports she was shot nine times.
Meanwhile, Weekend Argus reported that suspected Sexy Boys gang dik ding Jerome “Donkie” Booysen, who was this week identified as the man who allegedly received payment to arrange her murder, denied any link to the plot.
He told Weekend Argus: “I’ve got my own money. I don’t need other people’s money.”
A police informant on April 1 warned Madonsela via SMS that a gang boss had been paid to have her killed for about R740 000.
Madonsela took the threat seriously and beefed up her security.
Acting National Police Commissioner Lieutenant-General Khomotso Phahlane’s office is investigating the hit plot claims.
And last Tuesday, the website www.satirenews.co.za, which says its articles may not be true, reported one of Madonsela’s bodyguards shot her nine times before killing himself.
Madonsela told Weekend Argus on Friday: “I’m well but the public protector team and my family are rattled. The situation was compounded by the hoax message that’s been doing rounds saying I’ve been shot nine times.”
The informant who tipped off Madonsela about the hit described the satirical article as “the work of the enemy trying to scare (Madonsela).”
The piemper claimed her life was in danger and that gangsters accosted her on Monday in Strand where she was collecting “evidence” and held her for hours.
She said they did not harm her when they decided she was not interfering with their business.
On Friday, Madonsela said she was aware of the informant’s fears.
Weekend Argus this week reported that the so-called gang boss in the Madonsela “plot” was Booysen.
But Booysen described those who had implicated him as “bef**.”
Booysen was five years ago named by a policeman during a court case as the head of the Sexy Boys gang, which has a stronghold in Belhar, and as a suspect in the 2011 murder of underworld boss Cyril Beeka. He was never arrested.