Suspects in court



September 26, 2016
Suspects in court

GUNNED DOWN: Grant Fredericks, 39, was killed during a hijacking

Five men linked to Strandfontein hijacking not charged for murder.

The five men linked to the murder of a Strandfontein dad after getting caught trying to rob a jewellery store are yet to be charged for the killing.

On Friday the gang appeared at the Wynberg Magistrates’ Court where they were charged with attempted robbery and possession of an illegal firearm.

Zingisile Kleinhans, Siphokuhle Bulani, Xolani Nakumba, Themba Jilaje and Ntongameli Dyani were arrested on Wednesday morning, just 12 hours after 39-year-old Grant Fredericks was gunned down at a tuck shop and his car stolen.

The suspects were nabbed at a shopping mall in Claremont after one of them was caught by security guards while fleeing the scene.

An unlicensed gun was found in Grant’s stolen red VW Polo.

On Friday State Prosecutor Nagamso Matta told the court the state would be opposing bail.

“The accused are linked to a murder and robbery case that took place in Strandfontein on September, 20,” she said.

“On the next appearance, a prosecutor from the DPP [Director of Public Prosecutions] will be dealing with the matter.

“At this stage there is only a charge of attempted robbery and possession of an illegal firearm.

“The suspects were arrested at the jewellery store, the vehicle they were travelling in was the one hijacked on September 20.

“The state requires a seven-day postponement (for further investigation),” she added.

All five accused informed the court they would be seeking private lawyers to represent them.

Halfway through proceedings, accused number two had to sit down after he complained of stomach ache, saying his “liver was failing”.

Magistrate G Bouwer ordered he be referred to the hospital section of Pollsmoor prison for medical attention.

Bouwer then postponed the matter to September 30 to allow the state to get bail profiles on the suspects and for them to get lawyers.

Turning to leave, the men waved goodbye to relatives in the public gallery as they were led down to the holding cells.

None of Grant’s family were in court on Friday.

The slain man was shot in the back as he walked away, after he handed over his car keys to the hijackers. He leaves behind a wife and two small boys.

Read more News