‘Stabbers’ banned from Mitchells Plain

BY 

On 

November 3, 2016
‘Stabbers’ banned from Mitchells Plain

OUTCRY: Family and friends of victims protest outside Mitchells Plain Court . CREDIT: Patrick Louw

Four teens accused of killing of two boys warned not to return.

Four teenagers accused of a stabbing spree, in which two boys were killed on one night, have been released and ordered not to enter the suburb where the killings happened.

The three teenagers, aged 17 and one 19, appeared at the Mitchells Plain Magistrates’ Court’s Juvenile section yesterday and were released into the care of relatives.

One of the accused is the son of a member of the Mitchells Plain Community Policing Forum (CPF).

The teenagers indicated they will be pleading not guilty to the murders of Ronaldo Coetzee, 17, and Musfeeq May, 14.

The magistrate banned them from entering Mitchells Plain.

Some of the accused were also seen by social workers before they stepped into the dock yesterday and were ordered to report back to court on December 6 for a formal identity parade.


MURDERED: Musfeeq May, 14 and Ronaldo Coetzee, 18

On Saturday just after 9pm, Musfeeq was stabbed in Stromboli Street, Tafelsig, while running an errand with his cousin.

An hour later, cops were called to Sentinel Street, also in Tafelsig, where Ronaldo was stabbed and killed.

Days later, the community protested by burning tyres and called for the killer’s arrest.

Yesterday, the Tafelsig community and family of the deceased gathered more than 1000 signatures calling for the teenage suspects to be placed into a reformatory and not be allowed back into their community.

They were armed with placard cards reading “Moord is moord”, “Twee moorde op een dag” and “No bail”.

They also held up the photographs of the boys outside court.

Musfeeq’s mother, Raeesa May, joined protesters in support of the petition and to oppose bail.

“The detective working on this case told me the two murders are linked because they were committed by the same suspects who killed Ronaldo,” she says.

Ronaldo’s aunt, Portia Julies clutched a 36-page petition that demanded justice be served and that the suspects not be released as concerned residents believe they are a threat to society.

In a tragic twist, Ronaldo’s brother and one of the accused killers are brothers.

This week, the mother of the main accused, who is a CPF member, claimed her son had been trying to protect Ronaldo during the stabbing and defied calls from the community for her to step down.

(Visited 3,334 times, 1 visits today)
Read more News