Stormers fans and Western Province Rugby Union president Thelo Wakefield believe they were robbed by the referee in their Super Rugby loss to the Lions.
In a hard-contested 29-22 loss at Ellis Park on Saturday, some 50-50 calls by match official Stuart Berry went against Robbie Fleck’s manne.
Berry failed to penalise a couple of Elton Jantjies’ forward passes and was seen to “coach” the Lions at the breakdown without blowing.
Wakefield wrote on Facebook, before deleting the post: “Sadness. Disappointment, robbed!!! Have a good night’s rest ‘Man in the middle’.”
Rugby fans also had a go at Berry on Twitter:
- [email protected] - Has Stuart Berry stopped making up rugby laws yet?
- [email protected] - Stuart Berry looked distracted the minute he ran on the field, Having a shocker, all we asking for is consistency & fairness #ssrugby
- Bon [email protected]_papier - Great try by Faf but the credit should go to Stuart Berry for assisting in the try #SSRugby #LIOvSTO
- Ameer [email protected] If Stuart berry doesn’t call properly, he needs to be replaced by o’brian or lawrence @THESTORMERS #SSRugby #godhelpusall
- Reese Withoutaspoon [email protected] - I wish #SuperRugby had the white card challenge rule. Stuart Berry had been PISS POOR! We need better refs. #SSRugby
- Matthew Stretch [email protected]_stretch91- Glad to hear Stuart Berry telling the Stormers players to get on with it. Not a ruck goes by |without arm waving or commentary
- Enrico John Cupido [email protected]_12 - Stuart Berry is out of his depth. There was a forward pass before the line out! #SSRugby
- Welsh-Xavi [email protected]_ruga - Schalla is schooling Stuart Berry “the law says”