Six hours of bloody mayhem



July 8, 2016
Six hours of bloody mayhem

DEAD: Men walk past dead body after Hanover Park shooting. CREDIT: Manqoba Ngidi

Shootings in Hanover Park leaves two dead.

Two people have been killed and five wounded, including an eight-year-old girl, in six hours of mayhem in a Cape Flats suburb.

Blood literally flowed down the streets of Hanover Park yesterday as relatives cleaned up the crime scenes.

Cops are yet to confirm whether rival gangs are responsible for the shootings.

Police were called to the bus terminus just after 5.15am where a 23-year-old man was shot and wounded by a gunman on foot.

Four hours later, cops visited Athens Walk where Jerome Marthinus, 28, was gunned down, and three others, aged 32, 33, and 40 were left injured in a drive-by shooting.

Jerome’s distraught mother, Patricia Marthinus, was about to leave her Philippi home to visit her terminally ill husband in Lentegeur Hospital when she received a call saying that he had been killed.

“My son wasn’t a gangster, yes he used drugs and was caught by police before but I do not know why this happened,” she says as she washes away his blood in the street.

Eight-year-old Tatum-Lee Miller was also injured when a bullet grazed her right leg while she played outside with her cousins.

“We were playing when this sliver car stopped in the road and I thought it was the ball that went under the car that made that sound, but it was gunshots,” the little girl says.

“I didn’t know I was shot until I was taken inside the house.”

As police investigated the scene, they were called to Groenall Walk where a 20-year-old man had been shot and killed at 11.15am.

Police spokesperson, Lieutenant Colonel André Traut says no arrests have been made yet.

(Visited 7,448 times, 1 visits today)