Siblings lucky to survive mob attack



September 1, 2016
Siblings lucky to survive mob attack

TRAUMATISED: Zukisani, 29, and sister Bulelwa May, 30

A brother and sister and two others were held captive for eight hours.

This brother and sister survived a mob justice attack in which their two friends were brutally beaten to death.

The Khayelitsha siblings say about 18 men held them captive for eight hours and moered them for allegedly breaking into a car and stealing the car’s audio system.

Bulelwa May, 30, and her brother Zukisani May, 29, survived the ordeal on Sunday, August 21, and were discharged from hospital this week.

However, her boyfriend Monwabisi Mkayi, 27, and his friend Makhuze Wellden Bungani, 27, were not so lucky, and passed away hours after they were set free by the mob.

On Tuesday, three men, charged with murder and attempted murder, appeared in the Khayelitsha Magistrates’ Court for a bail application.

Police spokeswoman Constable Noloyiso Rwexane says: “Three suspects aged between 24 and 37 years were arrested on August 23 for a double murder that occurred at Yusuf Duda Street at Mandela Park.”

Bulelwa says they were accused of breaking into a Toyota Tazz, from which speakers, an amp, the car battery and other items were taken.

“I was at my boyfriend’s place when two guys forced their way into the house and took us. We were shoved into the boot of a car. I saw my brother also in the car and we had no idea what was happening,” she tells the Daily Voice.

They were taken to a house in Makhaya, where several men beat them with hammers, hockey sticks, batons and a chisel.

The traumatised woman says: “They kept asking us where the stuff is, but we didn’t know what they were talking about, and because we didn’t even get a chance to answer, they kept on beating us and torturing us. They put the music so loud in the house so the neighbours could not hear our screams.”

When they were eventually allowed to leave, they could not walk.

“We crawled out of that house like a herd of cows. We had no strength.”

Makhuze’s uncle says: “Makhuze just got home and these people came to borrow him, they promised to bring him back.

“He then got home hours later and was badly beaten; he said these people wanted to know where his friends sold their goods.”

He says they called an ambulance a few hours later as his condition worsened but it was too late.

Monwabisi passed away the next day, Monday, August 22, due to his injuries.

Read more News