‘She had so many plans and dreams’



November 24, 2016
‘She had so many plans and dreams’

GUNNED DOWN: Mother of three Amanda Ladlavuka, 33

Slain cop’s family vows to never allow another relative to become police officer.

The family of a police officer who was shot dead say because of this experience they will never allow any of their relatives to join the police force.

Relatives of Constable Amanda Ladlavuka say the death of the mother of three has left the whole family shaken.

The 33-year-old Delft resident was shot dead in Acacia Park, in Philippi East, on Tuesday night while on duty with a her cop partner shortly after they delivered a protection order.

Police have made one arrest and two suspects are still at large.

The two officers, both stationed at Philippi East Police Station, were attacked by three men who opened fire on them.

Ladlavuka’s partner, a 39-year-old sergeant, is currently in a critical but stable condition in hospital.

“The officers had just finished serving a protection order at one address when they were approached with a similar complaint within the vicinity,” says Hawks spokesperson Captain Lloyd Ramovha.

“On their way to assist, they were allegedly shot at by about three armed man, who subsequently robbed them of their firearms before they fled the scene.”

Speaking to the Daily Voice yesterday, Amanda’s relatives say they are still in shock and battling to come to terms with the murder.

Her nephew Yonela Mnyatheli, 27, says the officer’s husband and the eldest of her three children have been hit the hardest by the tragedy.

“We are all in pain, to such an extent that there will never be another police officer to come from this family because of this incident, we don’t ever want to go through this again,” he says.

“She had been a police officer for over 10 years at Philippi East and she was very committed to her job.

“We have lost someone we all depended on, whenever any of us needed something, we would come to her for groceries or anything. She had so many plans and dreams.

“Her eldest child, who is 14 years old, is just as devastated as we are but the two younger ones, a three-year-old and a nine-year-old, don’t really know that they will have to grow up without their mother.”

Captain Ramovha says their investigations led to the arrest of one of the three suspects on Wednesday.

“He is expected to appear in the Athlone Magistrates’ Court on Friday to face charges of murder, attempted murder and robbery with aggravating circumstances,” he adds.

Read more Multimedia