There were cries of “High Court toe” as two men accused of killing a six-year-old girl were told their case would be moved to the highest Cape court.
Yesterday the men accused of the murder of Saadiqa Lippert, six, heard that their matter will be tried in the Western Cape High Court.
Saadiqa was shot in the driveway of her grandmother’s Ninth Avenue home in Bokmakierie last week.
She died in hospital after taking a bullet to the stomach.
Samier Slamang, 26, and Wayland Botha, 22, appeared briefly in the Athlone Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
The matter was set down for bail information and both accused indicated they will go ahead with a formal bail application at their next appearance on June 1.
State prosecutor Xolani Ntozini said the state will oppose bail as the two are facing a schedule five offence.
And it was also revealed both men have been in trouble with the law before.
“They both have previous convictions,” Ntozini told the court.
He did not reveal the details of their criminal records.
“The matter will be tried in the High Court,” he added.
A High Court date has not been set.
Scores of people filled the public gallery.
And unlike their previous appearance, the families of the accused were also present.
“Here, wees genadig vir hulle,” a woman said as Slamang and Botha entered the courtroom.
Supporters of the victim’s family were all dressed in white and pink T-shirts bearing Saadiqa’s name.
After the brief hearing, community members chanted: “No bail, rot in jail” as the suspects’ families left the court house.