An alleged serial rapist, charged with 23 counts of rape, abandoned his bail application when he made his second appearance in court yesterday.
The man, aged 33, may not be identified until he pleads to the charges.
He was arrested on May 10 and made his first appearance in the Bellville District Court, before Magistrate Ronald Rieckerts, the next day.
Yesterday, his legal aid lawyer, Robyn Diedericks, told the court that her client had abandoned his bail application – for the time being.
Prosecutor Stefans Venter indicated that the State would oppose the application in any event.
He said the accused faced 23 charges of rape, but that the investigation was still far from complete.
At the State’s request, the case was postponed to August 18, for further investigation, and the court ordered that the man remain in custody until then.
The man was arrested in the Epping Industria area, after a five-year investigation involving the Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences provincial task team.
Police said the man’s method of operation was to approach his victims, threaten them and rob them of jewellery and money, before raping them.
He was arrested after forensic tests linked him to the alleged rapes of 23 women.
Seven of the victims, aged between 18 and 28, had been traced so far.