R100k bail for ‘byl killer’



June 15, 2016
R100k bail for ‘byl killer’

OUT ON BAIL: Henri van Breda at |Stellenbosch Magistrates Court. CREDIT: Danie Keet, Eikestadnuus

State believes DNA will prove son’s guilt.

Axe murder accused Henri van Breda has been released on bail of R100 000.

Van Breda‚ 21‚ wore a black coat and smiled broadly when he arrived at the Stellenbosch Magistrates’ Court yesterday to face four charges relating to the brutal murders of his parents and brother at their larney De Zalze golf estate home.

Prosecutors believe DNA evidence will prove he hacked his family to death in January last year.

He appeared calm as he stood before Magistrate Lungelo Juma.

He was supported by his uncle, Andre du Toit, who sat in the front row of the public gallery.

On Monday, 16 months after the shocking murders, Henri handed himself over at the Stellenbosch police station with his attorney Lorinda van Niekerk in tow.

National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Eric Ntabazalila said the State has a strong case against Henri that should ensure a conviction.

Ntabazalila said DNA evidence prompted police to arrest Henri.

Henri was charged with three counts of murder and one of attempted murder.

Marli van Breda, Henri’s sister, survived the axe attack in which their millionaire businessman dad, Martin, 55, mom, Teresa, 54, and older brother, Rudi, 22, were killed.

Marli, who was 16 at the time, was left for dead with a severed jugular vein and severe head injuries.

The teen, who suffered retrograde amnesia and did not remember the attack, has since returned to school.

Henri escaped the horror attack with minor cuts and bruises.

Media reports claimed Henri only called paramedics four hours after the attack, and speculation was rife that his wounds may have been self-inflicted.

He was also rumoured to be a tik addict.

Yesterday, defence advocate Pieter Botha, for Henri, argued that his client was not a flight risk because police were in possession of his travel documents and passport.

It was also “proven” that Henri won’t flee because he did not leave in the 16 months police took to finalise the case.

The State did not object to the bail application and Henri was ordered to pay R100 000 before he was set free.

Several bail conditions were set which prohibited Henri from leaving the Western Cape and communicating with any of the State witnesses.

He was ordered to report to the Parow Police Station on Mondays and Fridays.

Pre-trial hearings will be heard in the Western Cape High Court in September.

(Visited 475 times, 1 visits today)