Ouma blamed for little girl’s fiery death



October 31, 2016
Ouma blamed for little girl’s fiery death

BURNT TO DEATH: Lauren Herman, 5

Family member claims girl, 5, died because of 'negligence'.

A devastated mother is desperately seeking answers after her five-year-old daughter burnt to death in her ouma’s Wendy house.

Mom of two Logan Herman, 20, was at her boyfriend’s house in Tafelsig when she was called home to Beacon Valley, Mitchells Plain, in the early hours of Saturday morning.

The night before, she had left her daughter, Lauren, with her mom Belinda Herman, 40.

Several hours later, Logan, whose two-year-old son was with her, came home to the shocking sight of her daughter’s charred remains.

“My mother says the house was set alight by gangsters who thought another gangster was hiding here,” Logan explains.

“But there is no one here. My mother says she came out [to pee] then she saw the fire and called for my 15-year-old sister.

“My sister woke up and the blanket we use as a divider was already burning.

“When she pulled it so she could get to Lauren, she burned her arms and hair,” she says.

But at the scene in Metropolitan Street yesterday, Logan broke down when her cousin gave her a different version of events.

“[Your mother] is lying to you, Logan,” Leticia Jansen said.

“She was not here when the fire started. Belinda came running towards the house [from across the field] when people came out to check.

“It was through her own negligence [that Lauren died] and now she wants to involve gangsters in her lie,” she adds.

But Belinda insists gangs attacked her home.

“I did not kill her [Lauren],” she tells the Daily Voice.

An angry and confused Logan, who could barely look at her mom, sobbed: “Ek is baie lief vir my ma, hoekom doen sy dan dit aan my? Hoekom lieg my ma vir my?”

“My child survived three fires since she was three months old, I will find out who did this and I will hit that person even if it is my mother,” she vowed.

Police spokesperson Captain FC van Wyk says the cause of the fire is still unknown.

“At 3.48am, a female burnt to death in a Wendy house in Metropolitan Street,” Van Wyk says.

“The cause of the fire is unknown.”

Read more News