- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- ground coriander
- mild curry spice
- 2 tablespoons of turmeric and cinnamon powder
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of ground cloves and chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 100ml chicken stock
- 1kg chicken thighs, trimmed and cleaned
- 300g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tins of coconut milk
- salt & pepper
- 1 handful of freshly washed and roughly chopped coriander
- 80ml sunflower/coconut oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic and 40g ginger both peeled and grated on fine side of grater
Smoor onions, followed by garlic and ginger. Add all spices once onion, garlic and ginger is cooked. On a medium heat cook out spices for at least 10 minutes. Add chicken stock and deglaze, adding the tomato paste, and cook into a paste.
Add chicken thighs, cover in paste and add 250ml water. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes, then add potatoes. Cover with lid, turn heat low and cook until chicken and potatoes are cooked completely (but still in tact).
Season with salt and pepper, add coconut milk and half the coriander and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes (lid off). Taste and adjust seasoning to personal preference. Remove from heat and top with remaining coriander.