‘No to censorship’



June 21, 2016
‘No to censorship’

FIGHT AGAINST CENSORSHIP: The Right 2 Know campaign protested outside the SABCs Sea Point studios yesterday morning. CREDIT: Bertram Malgad

Members of the Right 2 Know campaign hand over memorandum to the SABC.

The SABC has been making sweeping changes recently as bosses “clean house” and steer the public broadcaster in a new direction.

But not everyone is happy with the new changes, and yesterday, the Right 2 Know (R2K) campaign took the fight to the SABC’s doorstep innie Sea Point to protest against “censorship”.

Last month, the SABC announced it would no longer screen violent protests where government property is being destroyed.

SABC Chief Operating Officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng announced: “We will not cover people who are destroying public property.

“As a responsible public institution we will not assist these individuals to push their agenda that seeks public attention. We would like to encourage citizens to protest peacefully without destroying the very same institutions that are needed to restore their dignity.”

But some feel this boils down to censorship and R2K coordinator Mark Weinberg says it must stop.

“It’s critical the public broadcaster is the voice of protesters and doesn’t silence them,” says Weinberg.

A handful of protesters held up banners that read: “Information should be revealed and not concealed” and “Your insecurities are cramping our freedoms”.

Protester Vainola Macan from Bellville says mense cannot allow this: “They would rather arrest us who stand here, than stand for our freedom of expression.”

The group handed over a memorandum to SABC management.

(Visited 58 times, 1 visits today)