Murder accused Randy Tango
“He didn't act alone.”

So said the Mitchells Plain Crisis Forum moments after Randy Tango, 31, appeared at the Mitchells Plain Magistrates' Court yesterday, where he is facing charges for the kidnapping, rape and murder of Stacha Arends, 11.

A small group of protesters braved the stormy weather to come out and and oppose bail for Tango, from Tafelsig.

They watched as a clean and neat-looking Tango took his place in the dock before looking at his sister, Chantal Jones, who came to support him.

State Prosecutor Darren Johnson informed the court that while they were ready to commence with Tango’s bail application, his lawyer, Advocate Tuso Motshebe, was absent without reason.

The case was then postponed to 14 June.

As Tango made his way back to the court holding cells, he drew angry hisses from the community and Stacha’s family as he smiled and winked at his sister.

People immediately started hurling abuse at him: “Moenie kom kyk nie, jou p***, jou rapist,” they shouted.

Outside court, Stacha’s ouma Dawn Godfrey, dad Stanley Godfrey and mother Sandy Markgraf and other relatives gathered.


Mitchells Plain Crisis Forum co-ordinator Joanie Fredericks says they believe Tango did not act alone, and called on cops to look for more suspects.

“Our stance is that we do not think Randy Tango acted alone,” she says.

Joanie says everyone was disturbed by the fact that Tango was clean, wore other clothing, and enjoyed a light moment with his sister.

“As he came up from the holding cells, he looked directly in her direction and as he left, he winked at her. He doesn’t have respect for the family or justice,” she says.

Joanie also read out a letter from Station Commander, Brigadier Cass Goolam, saying Tango’s house was combed for evidence and is now no longer a crime scene.

Just weeks after Stacha’s murder, the Tango family attempted to sell the property.

Tango was released on parole last October for car theft.

Stacha disappeared on 27 March while watching movies at a friend’s home in Matroosberg Street, Tafelsig.

The next day, her naked and battered body was found on a field on Swartklip Road.