Police have arrested a 17-year-old boy in connection with the murder of a teen girl who was shot dead while sleeping in her friend’s bed.
The teenager appeared in court on Friday for the murder of 18-year-old Chimicka Cornberg, who was killed at her friend’s house in Ocean View.
Police arrested the boy last week after taking in for questioning everyone who was in the Carnation Street house last Saturday night.
According to Chimicka’s friend’s mother, all the doors were locked, while only a window, without burglar bars, was left open.
She said her 15-year-old daughter’s boyfriend also slept over.
The family claims no one heard gunshots during the night.
The arrested teen, who cannot be identified as he is a minor, appeared at the Simon’s Town Magistrates’ Court on Friday for a preliminary inquiry.
The aim of the inquiry was to make sure a child in the criminal justice system is protected.
Details of court proceedings may not be made public.
Police spokesperson, Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana, confirms the arrest: “A 17-year-old male was to appear in the Simon’s Town Magistrates’ court on July 7 and is facing a charge of murder of an 18-year-old female.”
Meanwhile, Chimicka’s family has been battling to get her remains for burial after a strike affected Salt River State Mortuary.
The Department of Health says they are working hard to clear the backlog of autopsies caused by the strike.
Chimicka had been sleeping over at her 15-year-old friend’s home last weekend and was found dead the Sunday morning, 2 July, with two gunshot wounds to her head.
Her friend said she’d slept on the top bunk while Chimicka slept on the bottom.
She claimed she woke and when she could not hear Chimicka’s snoring, she investigated and noticed blood splattered on her pillow.
Chimicka’s aunt, Jasmine Abrahams, 43, says the family is relieved that an arrest has been made.
She says a memorial service was held for Chimicka, but they will have to wait for the funeral.
“We were going to bury her on Saturday but were told her body’s not ready yet because of the strike. We hope to bury her in this week,” says Jasmine.
Mark van der Heever, the Deputy Director of Communications for the Western Cape Department of Health, says: “Our staff are performing additional cases and extra resources have been deployed to assist.
“However, while we are working our way through the backlog, more cases are being admitted as well which adds more pressure.
“We advise the citizen to contact the relevant mortuary with all enquiries.”